Leaking pipes at your home are not less than a nightmare. A pipe suddenly leaks and water starts spraying. Leaking pipes may not sound a very big threat but if unchecked can cause huge water and financial damage. The first thing to do when you notice a leakage is to close the main valve. Turning off the water valve will cease the water flow. This will give you some time to relax and think as how to overcome this situation.
If the plumber is not available at the time of need, then you can try to fix the problem yourself. You can make temporary repairs or permanent repairs depending upon the materials you have in hand. The foremost thing that you need to do is to identify the cause of leak. It can be anything, a pinhole or a split in the pipe. The other main problem can be joining of two dissimilar types of pipes. For example: copper and PVC or Copper and Pex.
Some Temporary methods of fixing leaking pipes:
1. After you have turned off the main water valve, drain the water and make the surface dry to avoid any sort of accident as for example your bathroom floor becomes slippery after such leakages.
2. Drape or wrap a piece of rubber around the leaking joint. After that apply a stainless-steel hose clamp. If you don't have rubber for fixation, then you can use a piece of garden hose around the area of leak to cover the hole in the pipe and also around the areas of hole in the pipe.
3. You can also make use of adhesives. They work effectively on dry and clean surfaces. Apply the epoxy on both sides of the leakage.
4. For leaks around fittings, use epoxy putty and apply it around and over the leak.
Now, some Permanent methods of fixing leaking pipes:
1. For leaks in PVC and copper fitting pipes, use a pipe cutter with a plastic cutting wheel to cut out a section to allow you to slip in a compression coupling. Tighten the coupling by hand.
2. Use flexible metal tubes with compression couple on each end to provide a permanent fix.
3. You can install pipe clamps that are specifically designed to fix leaking pipes. You just have to fix or place the clamp over the hole, tighten the screws thereby making a permanent seal.
Any of the above method if you ever need to deal with a leaky pipe will get you back in business quickly.